Domestic Admission to Master's Degree at KU
This Master’s degree in Special Education with an emphasis in Low-Incidence Disabilities is available for special education professionals at the main campus in Lawrence, Kansas.
Apply before July 8 to begin in the Fall Semester
Apply before December 17 to begin in the Spring Semester
Apply before April 28 to begin in the Summer Semester
Please note that KU does not accept paper applications for admission. The online application is designed to give you the ability to submit all supporting documents in one form.
Regular admission requires a bachelor’s degree and a grade-point average (GPA) of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) from a regionally accredited institution, like KU, or a foreign university with substantially equivalent bachelor’s degree requirements. Applicants with a GPA of 2.75-3.0 are eligible for provisional admission. It is important for applicants to realize that the application indicators are not the sole determinants of admission to the Master's degree in Special Education with an emphasis in Low-Incidence Disabilities. Meeting the GPA minimum standards for regular or provisional admission does not ensure a recommendation for admission. Other factors considered by the committee include:
- Strength of the letter of application;
- Strength of the letters of recommendation;
- Quality of previous experience and background in special education or a closely related discipline;
- Availability of an appropriate advisor in the applicant's identified area of emphasis; and
- The fit between the applicant's professional and graduate program goals and the purpose and mission of the KU