Main Campus and Lawrence: Founded in 1865 and located on Mount Oread in the center of Lawrence, Kansas, the beautiful University of Kansas campus has a history of commitment to excellence in education, research and service. The KU community is comprised of a diverse group of students, faculty and staff motivated to ensure the success of every KU student. The University is rich in student tradition and offers a rewarding student life. With more than 25,000 students, the Lawrence Campus has hundreds of student organizations to choose from.
Lawrence is a beautiful city of nearly 80,000 people surrounded by wooded hills, river valleys, Kansas farmland and the tall-grass prairie. The city, which is located about 40 miles west of Kansas City and 30 miles east of Topeka, the state capital, offers the comfort and charm of a small-sized city, the services and learning opportunities of a large university community and easy access to two major cities in either direction. The tree-lined downtown area has specialty shops, quirky coffeehouses and wonderful restaurants that cater to both student and permanent residents. Lawrence also embraces artistic expression, which has allowed it to become a major art center in the Midwest. The city's many historic venues have attracted up-and-coming musicians and critically acclaimed entertainment acts. Regularly ranked among the best College Towns in America, Lawrence offers students access to two major cities while also the traditional features of a college town plus.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation ranked Lawrence among its "Dozen Most Distinctive Destinations" in 2000. Add to that a top 15 "Best Small Art Towns in America" rating and the KU Lied Center's badge as a "Top 10 U.S. University Presenter" for the performing arts and it's easy to see that Lawrence is a vibrant community with many amenities.
- Take a visual tour of the city on www.visitlawrence.com
- The Lawrence Marketplace provides a directory of businesses and services. Whether you are searching for a new restaurant or an optometrist, you can find it all here.
- Experience Lawrence's varied seasons at this hometownlawrence.com link and explore their multimedia section.
- Explore www.downtownlawrence.com and www.lawrenceks.org for where to go and what to do in Lawrence.
- A hip website, lawrence.com presents the latest trends in music, art, movies and more throughout the city.
- Check out the local "T" to learn about Lawrence's city transit service for KU Students.
- Check out travel information for all of Kansas at www.travelks.com.
- Browse www.kansas.gov, the State's official website, to track down information about Kansas.
Click on maps for directions to the KU Main Campus. Be sure to explore their interactive maps and other helpful links for visiting Lawrence.