Initial Licensure & Licensure Endorsement
The Early Childhood Unified (ECU) Master’s Program covers birth through Kindergarten (age 6). The program fully blends knowledge and skills in early childhood education and early childhood special education thus preparing the early educator to appropriately address all learners' needs including those at-risk and those with identified disabilities.
The Master’s ECU Program does not require a general education license (i.e., elementary, middle, or secondary). The ECU Program is an initial licensure program. It does not allow for a provisional endorsement unless you already have an initial teacher license (i.e., elementary, middle, or secondary).
Key Steps to Completing ECU (birth through kindergarten) licensure at KU:
- Earned baccalaureate degree with a minimum of 2.75 GPA. Lower GPA may require that the student take and obtain a passing score on the PPST. Note international students who have received a degree from a non-US school will have to have their undergraduate degree reviewed by an approved provider. Please contact your advisor (or Program Coordinator) early in the program to check on having this done.
- Complete KU’s approved ECU program* (courses & 2 student teaching experiences) with a minimum B for each course or student teaching experience. Note that B- does not count towards this requirement. Also if courses are transferred or substituted from another program or university they must also carry at least a grade of B.
- Passing Score on KU-‐ECU‐KPTP, which must be completed as a part of a supervised field experience.
- Pass the required PRAXIS series. For information regarding Kansas Licensure, visit the School of Education's Licensure section of the web site. This website has the information on required licensure exams and application instructions. For ECU license the following two standardized licensure exams should be taken approximately 3-6 months before you have finished all courses and student teaching experiences: PLT: Early Childhood; Education of the Young Child.
- Submit appropriate licensure form and fees (this does include a criminal background check).
*Note that the specific course requirements are provided under the requirements section. A pdf of a program plan is also available for download.