International Admission to Master's Degree at KU
This master’s degree in special education with an emphasis in early childhood unified is available both at the main KU Campus in Lawrence, Kansas and at the KU Edwards Campus in the greater Kansas City Metropolitan Area.
Select the Education drop down and navigate to Special Education MSE: Early Childhood Unified program. International applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the application process well in advance of the application deadlines in order to ensure adequate time for processing of visa-related paperwork. Please note that KU does not accept paper applications for admission. The online application is designed to give you the ability to submit all supporting documents in one form.
International Application Requirements
Admission requires a bachelor’s degree and a grade-point average (GPA) of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) from a regionally accredited institution, like KU, or a foreign university with substantially equivalent bachelor’s degree requirements. It is important for applicants to realize that the application indicators are not the sole determinants of admission to the Master's degree in Special Education with an emphasis in Early Childhood Unified. Meeting the GPA minimum standards for admission does not ensure a recommendation for admission. International applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the application process well in advance of the application deadlines in order to ensure adequate time for processing of visa-related paperwork. Other factors considered by the committee include:
- Strength of the letter of application;
- Strength of the letters of recommendation;
- Quality of previous experience and background in special education or a closely related discipline;
- Availability of an appropriate advisor in the applicant's identified area of emphasis; and
- The fit between the applicant's professional and graduate program goals and the purpose and mission of the KU
International students must meet one of the following English proficiency exam score requirements UNLESS they have completed a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited English-medium U.S. college or a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, an English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English:
- TOEFL (paper): 57 or above on each section and 5.0 on the Test of Written English
- TOEFL (iBT): 23 or above on the reading, listening, and writing sections
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 minimum overall score and at least 6.0 in listening, reading, and writing
- PTE: 58 or above with no part score below 53 in listening, reading, and writing
To forward exam scores electronically, the University code is 6871 and the Department code is 85. Please see the English proficiency chart for more information.